The following questions are based on a story called the Legend of Sleepy Hollow written by Washinton Irving. The Voice of America is the original source of the story. You can download the Mp3 file or listen online by clicking this link Legend of Sleepy Hollow Part 4.
Listen to the story carefully and then decide whether the following statements are True (T) or False (F).
- Ichabod was scared to death when he saw that the black thing was a horse with a rider. T/F
- According to the story, the rider was carrying his own head. T/F
- There was a bridge near an old church where the horseman would stop and return to his grave. T/F
- According to the story, Ichabod fell off his horse after the rider threw his head, and it hit him in the face. T/F
- People found Ichabod sprawling on the ground near the bridge the next day. T/F
- According to the story, people believed Ichabod was carried away by the headless horseman to New York City. T/F
- Brom Van Brunt finally married Katrina. T/F
- At the end of the story the writer suggests that the headless horseman was not real. T/F
- Brom laughed out loud when anyone talked about the pumpkin because he knew what really happened. T/F
- We may conclude that the Legend of Sleepy Hollow is not a horror story. It is actually a story of love triangle. T/F