Instruction: Read each of the following sentences carefully. Decide if you need to supply the or not for each blank space in each sentence.
1. a. … cats in my house are all black.
b. … cats are wild.
2. a. … mountains are generally high.
b. … mountains on Java are all high.
3. a. … contains oxygen and hydrogen.
b. … water in my glass is very cold.
4. a. … new furniture always looks great.
b. … new furniture in the living room looks great.
5. a. … pictures are always beautiful.
b. … pictures on the wall are beautiful.
6. a. … money only brings misery.
b. … money in my pocket is not mine.
7. a. … leaves are green.
b. … leaves of the trees in the back yard are turning yellow.
8. a. … novels are always interesting to read.
b. … novels available in this book store are best-sellers.
9. a. … bikes are healthy means of transportation.
b. … bikes in my garage are for sale if you’re interested.
10. a. … leaders are born, not made, some people say.
b. … leaders of the world are gathering for a conference tomorrow.